Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Turning point

November 6 1941: Stalin addressed the Soviet Union for only the second time during his three-decade rule. He states that even though 350 thousand troops were killed in German attacks so far, the Soviet victory was near. It was a legendary day and a reminder for me that when things aren’t going the way I hope or planned, I can begin to do things differently in order to see different results and regain my happiness and power.
The world lost thousands of lives. The number of people who lived on this planet is estimated to be 106,456,367,669 and the world population today is nearly 7,000,000,000 people. Yet the 7 billions have made more impact on this planet than the 106 billions who lived before.
In the past 100 years, important breakthroughs happened like the invention of instant coffee (yes I consider that one of the most important inventions and I thank god everyday for letting that happen otherwise you wouldn't see me blogging right now) , the creation of Google, the absolute savior of all of us , and of course other things like vaccines, halogen lights, atomic bombs etc.
The human kind does nothing but trying to trigger wars and hatred towards the other. Gossip everyday, racism, non-tolerance, no respect. When my faith in humanity was at its lowest, something (or should I say someone) came and restored it. Suddenly, there was hope, hope that the love that God planted somewhere deep in our hearts wasn't lost. Hope that you could fight the evil, hope that good can triumph.
Malala Yousafzai, a 15 year old Pakistani school girl and activist.  On October 9th 2012, she was shot in the head and neck in an assassination attempt by Taliban gunmen while returning home on a school bus. This girl wrote a blog when Taliban banned the education of the girls in her region. She stood up against terrorism, she fought for her rights, the simple right of having a decent education. Is that too much to ask, equality between the genders? "I don't care if I sit on the floor. All I want is education and I am afraid of no one.” that is one of her famous sayings. This girl risked her life for equality, for dignity, for the rights of every single child, the rights that someone other than God is trying to take away from her, someone ephemeral who is just a visitor to this world, who is eventually gonna leave this planet by the explosion of a bomb or a bullet in the head.
The right to education is denied to 61 million children of primary school age around the world. Girls, boys, the marginalized, rural children, child laborers, the hopes of these 61 million are represented by the struggle and voice of this girl.
Yesterday, Malala strived her way to recovery and woke up from coma, after a month of being left to death by her assassins. She is sending us the same message that Stalin left on November 6. Never give up. Its amazing how the same exact message could be sent by someone evil who tortured and killed billions, who stole the money of his people , and by someone so innocent, pure, young, yet so wise who is standing up for millions of deprived children.
This girl gave me hope. She gave me a reason to believe in humanity. On Saturday, the world will celebrate Malala Day, we will honor her sacrifice. The reactions of people gave me hope. The cry of thousands for Malala against terrorism gave me hope. Hope, never experienced that feeling before. Maybe someday the human race will be able to get over that sickness called "hate". Maybe we will forget how jealousy, envy, hate feel like.
Looking at my life, there are many times when I almost gave up. But now i have hope. I can begin working to turn things around to get me ready for the day when I will be proud of the human kind. If we want to embrace change, we must first acknowledge the need and desire for change. Malala triggered that need of change in me, and in the spirit of thousands of people.
I can work on becoming more hopeful and I can approach people with a more positive attitude. I can try to see the good side of them even when evil is all that they're showing me. I can try to NEVER GIVE UP on anything that I want to accomplish even when someone is pulling me down. I can build some momentum and make my happiness a goal and a priority, but I choose to include others as well, fight for their happiness when they can longer fight for their own. Now I know why community service was such an important part of my life, Malala gave me the answer to a question I never could really answer; the satisfaction after seeing the smile you drew on a person's face. I thank you for that Malala.

No comments:

Post a Comment